Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Who comes, who goes, who stays? (Part 2)

Well, it looks like the PG stole a bit of my thunder, but here's the list of people who need to go one way or the other for the Pens, at least in my humble opinion. For now, I'm going to leave those players I consider prospects off the list, just because they will take up their own individual post at a later date...

Enjoy!!!

Forwards

Eric Godard - his only job is to fight, and while he does that well, we have plenty of others (Mike Rupp comes to mind) who can throw down. He's an absolute joke of a hockey player, and I'm not exaggerating when I say I could skate faster then him.

Tyler Kennedy - He's fast, sure, and was injured most of this season. But he seems to only have one move in the offensive end, and we can find plenty of speedy grinders in the minors. I think he's overrated, but I'm sure the Pens will keep him because of his youth and speed.

Ruslan Fedotenko - If you watched the Pens this year then you know why he needs to go. He's old, slow and stinks. Nuff' said.

Alex Ponikarovsky - Bar none the biggest trade deadline flop ever for Ray Shero, his size and scoring touch were supposed to produce at a top-six level. They didn't, and he will almost certainly not be brought back.

Defensemen

Jordan Leopold - He was injured early in the playoffs and wasn't as big of a factor as he could have been. I don't necessarily hate what he brings to the table, but he's a puck moving defensemen, not really the stay at home type, and unless we drop Gonchar, I think Leopold may be too much of a good thing.

Jay McKee - He was brought in on the cheap, and played well when he was needed, but I doubt he'd want to take on a 7th defenseman role. Plus, his salary is sure to rise and his legs are bound to get even slower, so no thanks.

Kris Letang/Alex Goligoski - As I said in the first post, one of these two needs to go. They'll both be back, but I would dump one because of their defensive liabilities and because we could definitely get a good return on one of them now, as opposed to two years from now when they will be worthless or at least devalued.

Goaltenders

Brent Johnson - We just signed him to an extension, and to be honest, it may be a good idea. He's well liked by his teammates and not horrible on the ice. My only problem is that I would prefer us to get a youngster some experience behind Fluery, but should an injury come up, I'll feel a little better with Johnson in then I would about John Curry or any of our prospects right now.

Well boys and girls, that's it for now...I'll be back lata this week with some free agents I'd like to see us target, and even a report on our prospects!

Hope you enjoyed it, and until lata...

No comments:

Post a Comment